History of Colclough China
The Colclough china company was founded in 1890 by Herbert Joseph Colclough, who was an ex-Mayor of Stoke-on-Trent. He moved to the Vale potteries in Longton and was honoured when in 1913 he was visited by King George V and Queen Mary who gave royal licence for the company to produce Royal Vale china.
In the 1930’s Colclough China Limited was expanding fast and it was then that they started to produce the tea and dinner ware that we know today. They were the first company to produce fine bone china for the every day market which was marketed by the piece, ruling out the need for large sets to be purchased first.
In 1948, Colclough China Limited took over Booths and Adderley and then in the early 1950’s merged with the Ridgeway Company.
Colclough and Ridgeway became part of the Royal Doulton Group in the early 1970’s. However, in 1996, Colclough production