English fine bone china has been produced at the Staffordshire factory of Ridgway since 1808. The styles are typical for the period, the peony shaped cups, the scallop edged saucers and plates, with floral or landscape decoration. All pieces from the factory were hand made and beautifully hand coloured and gilded with 24ct gold. By 1955 Ridgway became one of the largest pottery combines in existence, eight factories comprised the group – Booths at Tunstall, Colcloughs, Adderly Floral China and Gainsborough Works at Longton, Paladin Works Fenton, N. Staffs. and Portland Pottery in Cobridge and the Beford works at Shelton.